Friday, February 17, 2012

Western Literature

I am in an English class right now; it’s called Intro to Western Lit. When I first signed up for the class, I just picked it because I needed an arts credit and the class fit into my schedule perfectly. The first day of class was so boring; I kept thinking to myself I’m going to have to drop this class if it doesn’t get any better. However it did get better. The class meets every Tuesday and Thursday from 9-10:15. I have learned to love going to class. Don’t get me wrong, the work in there is a lot to do and sometimes just flat out sucks. We read chapters at a time for every time we meet. Then we either discuss the stories in groups or as a class. The part I love most is my teacher. She’s great! Every day she comes to class with such positive energy and always greets us as soon as she walks in. The energy that she has to teach with is amazing. When she talks to the class she interacts with us by relating situations to our situations. She asks us questions. Reading random stories because I have to is not something I enjoy to do, but she makes the readings fun. I’ve read several stories and I did not comprehend what was going on at first, such as Haunted House and Barn Burning. However, she took the time with all of us to go over the story. I really appreciate teachers like this, who make sure their students understand what is going on. In college everything is so straight forward and to the point, which is only preparing us for the real world. Although, sometimes it’s nice to still have that explanation and the fundamental of learning things in creative ways. The next thing we will be learning is poetry. This is going to be more of a challenge for me because poetry is not the hardest thing to understand. I try to go into everything with a positive attitude so I have a better work ethic. If you want to be successful you have to work hard at the things you do and be open minded to almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment